Sunday, January 29, 2023

#GoodNight2022Campout 12/30/22 - 12/31/22



Heidi and I planned a bikepacking trip in Flagstaff this past summer. We had the date set on the calendar way in advance. Unfortunately, the fires up north derailed that plan.  The dirt road that was a big part of our route was closed indefinitely while the area repairs itself. We never got another trip planned in its place. I usually love planning far in advance. If it isn't on the calendar way in advance sometimes it doesn't happen. But once in awhile a last minute idea comes together and works out!    Heidi texted on 12/17/22 "I'm assuming you already have plan on the 30-31st" with a link to bikepacking.com challenge #GoodNight2022Campout. I was available that weekend and a plan started to quickly form.  We decided on an overnight route at Hawes with about 10-15 miles each day. 

Trailforks link 

Total time was less than 24 hours not 76 hours! 

We posted an event within our Bikepacking Babes facebook page.  Only Heidi, Berverly, and I could go so we started spreading the word to our bikepacking friends.  John Schilling created a facebook event and posted it on Arizona Bikepackers as a Bikepacking 101 route.  We had a total of 10 of us embark on this local challenge.  We didn't have anyone new to bikepacking but many of us were trying out new gear.  I love these group trips because it is fun to see everyone's setup. I always take away ideas for my own setup! 



I was testing out my setup for Queens Ransom. I am excited but nervous for that trip all at the same time. Queens Ransom will be March 3rd.  It is about 220 miles, 14,000 ft of climbing over 4 days.  It will be an epic ride for me so I really wanted to make sure my setup was dialed. This trip was perfect for that.  Since my last trip I changed a lot of my gear. I did a lot of research and was lucky to find some sales.  I am really happy with my setup. My front handlebar harness did rub once in awhile. I was worried about that. I got a bike fit recently and we moved my bars all the way down with no spacers. I think a little bit of duck tape on the underside of the harness will due the trick in protecting it. I really want to keep my gear as light as possible for the Queens Ransom. I decided that I would try to get away without my rear back rack. I was happy with how the bike handled including the steering. I think this is going to work out. I liked the simplicity of it. I also got to test out my new tent (Copper Spur HV UL Bikepack) and sleep pad. I am happy I upgraded my sleep pad to an insulated one.  It took me sometime to remember how to set everything up. My favorite thing I added to my setup was my rogue panda custom frame bag. I debated on getting a frame bag for so long. I have an XS bike so I was worried it wouldn't be worth it. It is 100% worth it!! I could fit so much in that little bag! I love that they are a local company and based in Flagstaff. I met them at Roam fest and after asking a zillion questions I knew I needed one. 


Beverly was also testing her set up for Queens Ransom

We met at the park and ride at Power and the 202 at 2:30pm.  Beverly met at my house and we rode to the park and ride together. It was nice being able to ride from home and not having to load up our heavy bikes onto the car.  I was closely watching the weather leading up to the trip. There was a lot of rain in the forecast.  It rained a lot that week leading up to the ride and it was supposed to rain all day Sunday. But luckily the rain held off for Friday and Saturday. The sky did look omnious on Friday while we were heading to camp. It misted a little bit while we were setting up camp and that was it. The sunset was absolutely stunning. I decided to take gluten free pizza for dinner and it worked out perfect!

I love my new tent. A lot of room for a one person tent. 

Bikepacking Babes! Heidi, Beverly, Kara


John enjoying his chair before
he sunk into the soft dirt (a very rare thing in Phx)

It took awhile to get the fire started!
We finally used one of the propane stoves and it worked great.

I love ending the day with a fire 
and hearing everyone's stories of their crazy adventures. 

While I was packing up in the morning I heard a familiar voice! 
Rhonda was hiking with her dogs and friend. 

We had amazing hero dirt! 
Heidi just cruising along

It was fun doing a local route. Many of us knew the trails really well. We had so many audibles with route changes but that made it fun.  We even changed where we were going to camp. Initially Heidi and I were thinking about camping at Bulldog Canyon. However, there were so many campers in the area so John had a great idea. We kept heading up the maricopa trail toward Pass Mountain. We found a great area to camp that was open and lots of room for all 10 of us. Many people don't realize that Hawes is part of the Tonto National Forest. So we were able to camp anywhere! The options were endless. 

Very creative setup

John was happy it stopped raining since he was cowboy
 camping and was already all set up. 


I never thought to do a trip so close to home. Part of backpacking.com challenge (#goodnight2022campout) was to get out local either solo or with friends. Enjoy a night under the stars. It was fun making memories with my friends and meeting new ones. Bikepacking.com gives out great prizes to five posts of their choosing. No one in our group made the top five but John Schilling's instagram post was featured in the Bikepacking.com #goodnight2022campout wrap up post

Heidi thanks for the idea. It was great to end the year under
the stars (they peaked out for a second). 
I'm looking forward to new adventures in 2023. 












No comments:

Post a Comment