Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Kitt Peak TT - 09/27/15 - Race Report


I have lived in Arizona for 10 years and explored many roads on my bike.  I used to shy away from rides with lots of climbing. Never considered myself a strong climber. However, my goal over the past two years was to ride a lot including epic climbing.  I have learned the only way to become a better climber was to tackle those rides with lots of climbing.  My favorite ride every year is the Skull Valley Loop Challenge in Prescott. This year I was joined by three other teammates.  The great thing about teammates is that they will encourage you to do things you never thought possible.  I never would have ventured to Kitt Peak alone. However, with the excitement of teammates who also love to climb the planning began.  I didn't have time to be nervous. The race was only a week away. That is what I love about racing. Most races the deadline to sign up is usually only a few days away from the start of the race. Therefore, racing is great for last minute decisions. This fits well into my busy schedule.  

The week leading up to the race was busy. We needed to find a place to stay. I found us a great condo on Airbnb. The place ended up being perfect.  Saturday was here before I knew it and it was time to head to Tucson. While I was doing a short ride to loosen up my legs my phone rang. Oh no! Julie our new team member who was driving down from Flagstaff to join us had major issues with her bike on her easy ride.  Her front derailer decided it no longer wanted anything to do with her bike. It just fell off. She didn't know if she was gong to make the carpool. I told her to drive safe and we would delay our departure from Phoenix. She ended up borrowing a bike from a friend and headed to Phoenix! She didn't want to miss out on the fun.   

Finally all loaded up at 4pm on Saturday Nathalie, Julie, and I head to Tucson.  We met up with Lisa in Tucson. That night we enjoyed a pot luck dinner at the condo and shared biking stories. Lisa had a lesson on the best way to pin on a number!:) The pillow trick works great. Teammates kept my nerves away. By morning however, my nerves were setting in.  I couldn't believe I was going to race 12 miles with abut 3500 ft of climbing.  I was warned about the last 5K of the climb being the steepest part. I still couldn't believe I was about to do this climb as a race. Was I crazy!!!! 

The count down began. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and I was off. The suffer fest has begun. I ended up loving the fact that I signed up so late and was the last girl on our team to start. I focused on the pink in the distance and tried to chase them down.  It helped to keep my mind busy and focused.  I fellow women racer said before the start, "Don't forgot to look at the beauty around you". She was right. I am glad a took a couple moments on the climb to enjoy the amazing views. I finally caught Julie and said Hi. Next thing I know she was up the road again.  I could see her getting farther and father away. I start rotating standing and sitting. Sitting for 20 pedal strokes then standing for 10. It takes my mind off of the pain. Finally I approach the last curve and see the finish.  I did it! This climb was a great way to end the racing season. I am so glad my teammates encouraged me to race. After taking some finish line pictures and gaining the ability to breath again we headed down the hill as a team.  

Kitt peak is often listed as one of the top climbs in Arizona. After experiencing all 12 miles of Kitt Peak I agree! The views are absolutely amazing. I can't wait till next year. 

Podiums for the day: Kara Woolgar 1st cat 4, Julie Mueller 2nd Cat 4, Nathalie Potvin 2nd 50-54 and Lisa Crujido 1st place 55-59 . 

Some comments from fellow teammates and what they thought about the race. 

"The ride was beautiful but when you see the white dots up top the mountain far away, you feel a stomach pinch.  You suffer for 8 miles or so and then the majestic white giants appear, those little bumps you saw earlier."
 - Nathalie

"For me, the hardest part was miles 3-5, trying to convince my legs that we were going to climb for several more miles.  Then of course dry heaving at the top because I tried so hard.  the best part was knowing you ladies were out there hammering away!" - Julie 

We did it!:) Happy to be at the top.  Julia, Lisa, Nathalie, and Kara 





No comments:

Post a Comment