Monday, April 14, 2014

Getting out of my Comfort Zone

This past fall I made some health changes. I finally went to an allergist and started following a gluten, dairy, soy free diet along with about 10 other foods. I have started to eat "real foods" since then.  Many people have been encouraging me to start a blog. So here goes my attempt!:) I will post recipes and tricks I have learned along the way. Also you can follow all my crazy adventures. I love to bike which is no secret if you follow me on facebook. This year I started following Vanderkitten Racing and was chosen to be a VKVIP in November. Vanderkitten Racing is all about Women kicking ass.
"Everyday women doing extraordinary things"
VKVIP Camp - Making lasting memories biking in the rain with amazing women
I have had fun getting to know the pro athletes, VKVIP's, following their blogs, and learning from them. In Feb I was given the opportunity to head to camp with other VKVIP's and members of Vanderkitten Racing. I had a fun week but never realized the impact until recently. My fellow VKVIP Ashley just posted a blog titled
"something has changed since VKVIP camp"
El Tour de Mesa Finish with my VKVIP peeps
Marlene, Ami, Jill and Amy 

I agree with Ashley. Something has changed.  I participated in El Tour de Mesa on April 5. I can't believe I finished 69 miles and 2600ft of climbing in 3hrs 27min without stopping with an Avg of 20.1mph. Wow is all I can say. I wasn't even going to ride but decided to at the last minute. I can truly say I had nothing left in the tank at the end of the ride. I fought a cramp from about forty miles to the end. I suffered on Usury at the end of the ride and somehow pulled out a PR for the climb. I attacked several times to stay with Marlene or Dawn then settled back into the ride. It was great working with Marlene the first half of the ride.  I was dreading going up the hill on Shea. I saw the Jobing jersey and just focused in on catching Marlene and before I knew it we were heading down and Marlene was making sure I was eating.  Love that girl she was checking on me and I think she had one goo the entire ride.  Loved working with her on the b-line. We jumped in and out of groups till we found a great one to stay with. It was fun to get a taste of what bike racing is all about.
Finish line El tour de Mesa with Marlene, Amy, and Ken.
Thanks for always pushing me to my limits
During ride/citizen race I had plenty of time to reflect. I kept coming back to the thought that something has changed since Vanderkitten VIP camp in Feb. I used to dread climbs. Which is funny because I used to love hills back in my competitive running days. I was never a good sprinter but I would catch and pass opponents on the hills. I didn't feel that way with biking until recently. The rides weren't very long at camp because of the weather but we still got some good climbing in.
Climbing Kings Rd. 4.3 miles 6.8% and look I'm standing!
Photo Credit Jason Perry
Climbing Mt Lemon 25 miles 6800 ft of climbing
This was only a dream before VK camp now an accomplishment

I started riding out of the saddle on climbs. Liza Rachetto the team captain gave us some great pointers on climbing. I learned it is ok to get in the pain cave on a climb and it will get better. I have more confidence on the bike. Since camp, I have been riding with groups that I also thought were way to fast for me. I have taken the attitude lets see how long I can hang on. Lately I have been able to hang on longer and longer. Sometimes for the entire ride. I have never had natural ability when it comes to athletics. I have always had to work hard at it! I have been cycling for 9 years now and it is fun to keep up with my friends that I never thought I could. I still don't know how I feel about getting into racing bikes but improving and getting to know so many wonderful people has been fun.
Mt Lemon Clinic with VK pros Emily Kachorek and Tiffany Pezzulo. Thanks girls for the invaluable tips on ascending and descending.
Camp day 4 complete with Alex and Liza. We kept each other safe in crazy wind, fog, and rain while climbing 9 miles 4.5%AVG on Pagemill.  Every time I was ready to give up and slow down on that climb another kitten came up to me and wouldn't let me quit. I dug deep and kept going with their encouragement.  I proved to myself I can climb!

Heading to the climb on pagemill with the team car following us - Photo Credit Jason Perry

Amy Charity and I leading the group - Photo Credit Jason Perry





4 comments:

  1. Nice job Kara! Keep #kickingass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Kara! GREAT adventures lie ahead. Reading this, I know you and I have so much in common. (Except for the weather. The New England winter really beat me this year.) I'm inspired by all of our VKVIP sisters and can't wait to ride with you at Canary Challenge! Be cool, girl. xo Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy and Jen thanks for the kind words. Tammy can't wait to meet you at the Canary challenge. I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah and we came up.with a Simple bike rack that goes in the.bed of my truck made out of nothing more than 2x4s, glue, screws and of course Thule fork racks. If u want pics or a quick how to let me know..... cuss words are free. I am a great SAG big truck, 4 doors, xm radio and I am always afraid to say no to Kara she is much meaner than she looks

    ReplyDelete